At the National Youth Leadership Forum (NYLF): Careers in Law & CSI, you are taken on an exclusive behind-the-scenes journey to Washington, DC’s top law firms, universities, and legal institutions. This six-day Envision program for high school students is held in the nation’s capital each summer.
NYLF Law & CSI may be the single most valuable opportunity you receive as a high school student to explore the full range of professions that exist in the legal and forensic science fields – not from a chair in a classroom, but through exciting, hands-on experiences in crime scene investigation, evidence analysis and courtroom simulations. By attending, you will be honored for your academic achievement, recognized for your leadership potential and take your place among a group of top high school students from throughout the nation.
Benefits & Activities
Are you ready to get the edge you need for college and a future career in law or crime scene investigation?
At the NYLF Law and CSI summer program, for high school students you will:
- Explore in-depth the entire judicial process, from the discovery of a crime, through collecting and analyzing all of the critical evidence and into the courtroom and through the trial.
- Examine a court case in the Supreme Court Simulation, in which you will step forward in front of your peers to assume the role of a justice or attorney, use analytical skills to review issues relevant to the case, discover how to effectively argue your position and render a final decision – just like the Supreme Court Justices themselves!
- Experience specially escorted site visits that will enable you to meet and personally engage with top law or forensic professionals at a prominent law firm, court of law or forensic science institution.
- Receive an official Certificate of Merit as a testament to your academic success and your contribution to the program. You may highlight this honor throughout your education, and submit a copy of your certificate with college applications.
- Interact, collaborate and share ideas, side-by-side with other future leaders, which will inspire and motivate you throughout the program and beyond.
By completing this program, you are eligible to receive college credit from George Mason University.
Law & CSI Career Exploration
Enhance your awareness of legal, judicial and forensic science professions through career panels, seminars, workshops and site visits led by law and forensic science experts. Past program speakers include:
- Antonin Scalia, Associate Justice, United States Supreme Court
- Sandra Day O’Connor, Associate Justice, United States Supreme Court
- Harriet Miers, White House Counsel
- Abner J. Mikva, White House Counsel, U.S. Court of Appeals Judge, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Nadine Strossen, President, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU); Professor of Law, New York Law School
- Eric H. Holder, Jr., Deputy Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice; U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia
- Jonathan Turley, J.B. and Maurice C. Shapiro Professor of Public Interest Law, Director of the Environmental Law Advocacy Center, George Washington University Law School
- DeMaurice F. Smith, Partner, Latham & Watkins
*Note: listed are speakers’ titles at the time the addressed the forum.
Law & CSI in Action
- Analyze evidence and build a case as part of a forensic science simulation.
- Put your legal acumen to the test as you make your case in an exciting courtroom simulation where you can experience firsthand the role of prosecutor, attorney or witness.
- Learn the trade secrets of strong debate and negotiation from top professionals, and gain leadership skills you can use now and in college, including public speaking, team building and conflict management.
At the NYLF Law & CSI program, you will see law and CSI operations in action and engage with top professionals from law firms, courts of law and forensic science facilities. Past participating institutions include:
- Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- The George Washington University School of Law
- Arnold & Porter, L.L.P.
- Forensic Anthropology Lab: Smithsonian
- National Museum of Natural History
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- George Mason University School of Law
- Steptoe & Johnson, L.L.P.
- Drug Enforcement Administration
- Crowell & Moring, L.L.P.
- Fairfax County Police Department
- District of Columbia Bar
- Fairfax County Circuit Court
- Howard University School of Law
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- …and many more!