Take your place among the nation’s highest achieving high school students to gain real-world medical career experience and explore professional career opportunities in the expanding fields of medicine and health care.
You will experience the NYLF Medicine program on a college campus in any one of 8 cities across the U.S., each chosen for their world-class medical universities, hospitals, facilities and research centers.
You will utilize your personal and academic strengths and skills in direct, hands-on medical and health care activities and true-to-life medical simulations created by top medical training professionals.
Emergency Medicine Simulation: When Care is Hours Away
This exciting simulation, designed in collaboration with Drs. Paul Auerbach and Henry Curtis, Department of Emergency Medicine, Stanford University School of Medicine, puts you in the position of first responder as you practice the clinical skills needed in a true-to-life emergency.
Disaster Triage Simulation: When Disaster Strikes
In this simulation, designed in collaboration with Mary desVignes-Kendrick, M.D., M.P.H., Texas A&M Health Science Center School of Rural Public Health, and her team, you will respond to a disaster as a medical professional, assess and sort victims based on the severity of their injuries, and practice applying your medical knowledge in high-pressure environments.
At the NYLF Medicine program you will visit a state-of-the-art medical simulation center where you will train like a professional and get hands-on experience in a variety of medical procedures and technologies, practicing on lifelike mannequins.
Immerse yourself in the life of a medical student as you practice effective suturing techniques, train with laparoscopic instruments, and learn how to diagnose and treat patients.
You will also see a total knee replacement surgery and have a surgeon talk you through the procedure and answer your questions in real time. In addition, you will meet graduate students who will provide important insight into how to successfully navigate the medical school application process, and tell you what you can expect throughout a typical first year in medical school.
At the National Youth Leadership Forum (NYLF): Medicine program you will:
- Take part in unique site visits to the nation’s best medical schools and health care facilities.
- Take an interactive role in the study and practice of medicine and the delivery of health care.
- Experience firsthand the challenges facing medical students and health care professionals.
- Assume the role of patient and emergency responder in our realistic disaster triage simulation.
- Meet and interact with leading physicians and medical students at top medical institutions.
- Be eligible to receive college credit from George Mason University by completing the program.
Depending on the city you choose, you will reside throughout the 9-day NYLF Medicine program on one of these prominent college and university campuses:
- Emory University
- Babson College
- University of Houston
- University of California, Los Angeles
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Hofstra University
- University of California, Berkeley
- University of Maryland