National Youth Leadership Forum (NYLF): Explore STEM is an interactive experience that introduces high-achieving middle school students to innovative and rewarding careers in engineering, environmental science, medicine, and technology.
At NYLF Explore STEM, you “discover by doing” as the six days of activities, workshops, and special site visits are all hands-on and interactive experiences that will put you on the path to success in high school, in college, in a career and in life. You will learn how to apply your science and math skills to join the next generation of leading doctors, scientists, software developers and other analytically minded professionals.
Virtually all career fields today require a solid foundation of STEM, and that’s precisely why these are the fastest growing areas of study, and the reason that STEM professionals are in the highest demand in the United States and throughout the world.
You may choose to attend the NYLF Explore STEM program on any one of these prominent college campuses: Emory University in Atlanta, GA; Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering near Boston, MA; Loyola University in Chicago, IL; University of Texas at Dallas in Dallas, TX; Occidental College in Los Angeles, CA; Westtown School near Philadelphia, PA or Menlo College near San Francisco, CA.
Each campus is carefully chosen to ensure the safety and security of our attending students. Faculty advisers are with students at all times throughout the program, and students are never permitted to be on their own.
Activities & Benefits
Are you ready to experiment, discover and innovate? At NYLF Explore STEM, you will:
- Take part in a broad range of interactive simulations, hands-on workshops and educational site visits, as you discover the real-world frontiers of 21st century science and technology.
- Interact with STEM professionals from fields in engineering, health care and environmental science as you explore future career paths.
- Create a personalized success plan and pave the way to your future success with the skills, knowledge and behaviors you will need to choose the right high school options, prepare for college and, ultimately, make the transition to a rewarding career.
- Experience campus life in a safe and secure environment, while building your independence and self-confidence.
- Make lasting friendships with like-minded students from around the U.S.
"My daughter can't stop smiling! What a wonderful first experience away from home! I can tell her self-confidence has grown - she was thrilled to be learning, laughing, and making memories with other high-achieving students." – Parent of 2014 Explore STEM Alumna
Dr. Charles Bush-Joseph, MD, Professor, Rush University Medical Center and Head Team Physician for the Chicago White Sox Major League Baseball Club. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians.