National Youth Leadership Forum (NYLF): Explore STEM presents an invaluable opportunity for curious and high-achieving students to explore the frontiers of 21st century science and technology. In this 6-day “summer camp,” students learn by doing, engaged in hands-on simulations, workshops and site visits – while making new friends and enjoying unforgettable adventures.
STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Few fields are more important to the future of mankind and few fields show as much promise, in terms of career opportunity. Virtually all career fields today require a solid foundation of STEM, and that’s precisely why these are the fastest growing areas of study, and the reason that STEM professionals are in the highest demand in the United States and throughout the world.
This unique learning experience is for those bright, forward-thinking students who will soon evolve into our next generation of innovators, engineers, doctors, software developers, mathematicians and physicists.
Hear from former National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) Astronauts and STEM Pioneers:
Michael Massimino: A four-time spacewalker on two missions to the Hubble Space Telescope, including the final Hubble servicing mission which has been called the most dangerous and complex mission in space shuttle history, Michael Massimino has faced life-threatening challenges and traveled faster and higher than any other astronaut in the 21st century.
Captain Jerry Michael Linenger: Aboard what has been reported to be one of the most dangerous and dramatic missions in space history, Jerry Linenger survived an out-of-control spacecraft which was on fire and tumbling through darkness.
Leroy Chaio: A former NASA astronaut and International Space Station commander, Leroy Chiao works in business and consulting. He also holds appointments at Rice University and the Baylor College of Medicine, and is the special advisor for human spaceflight to the Space Foundation. Mr. Chiao has worked extensively in both government and commercial space programs and has held leadership positions in commercial ventures and NASA.
Activities & Benefits
Bring STEM to life – in a way no text book can:
- Guided Field Study – The NYLF Explore STEM program features field trips like the Nature Center visit, where students explore sustainability and environmental science.
- Career Choice Exploration – A panel of STEM experts helps students understand their options in each STEM field, while providing an overview of global STEM opportunities.
- Inspiring Speakers – Hear from STEM pioneers during keynote speaker sessions with former NASA astronauts.
- Coding Simulation – Create your own video game on the Unity software platform, learning game mechanics, basic coding, character selection and scene development. With tech industry experience like this, you'll be popular in the job market!
- Engineering and Technology Workshop – The challenge is on as students apply engineering skills to design, build and program a robot, then enter it in the robotics competition!
- Medicine Simulation –
This could be a life-saver! Experience the public health system and issues of emergency preparedness on a community level in an exciting role-playing simulation, where students take on the jobs of doctors, public health officials, or government officials to address a realistic community threat scenario.
"My daughter can't stop smiling! What a wonderful first experience away from home! I can tell her self-confidence has grown - she was thrilled to be learning, laughing, and making memories with other high-achieving students." – Parent of 2014 Explore STEM Alumna