National Youth Leadership Forum (NYLF): Explore STEM presents an invaluable opportunity for curious and high-achieving students to explore the frontiers of 21st century science and technology. In this 6-day “summer camp,” students learn by doing, engaged in hands-on simulations, workshops and site visits – while making new friends and enjoying unforgettable adventures.
STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering and Math. Few fields are more important to the future of mankind. And few fields show as much promise, in terms of career opportunity. Virtually all career fields today require a solid foundation of STEM, and that’s precisely why these are the fastest growing areas of study, and the reason that STEM professionals are in the highest demand in the United States and throughout the world.
This unique learning experience is for those bright, forward-thinking students who will soon evolve into our next generation of innovators, engineers, doctors, software developers, mathematicians and physicists.
Activities & Benefits
Bring STEM to life – in a way no text book can:
- Guided Field Study – The NYLF Explore STEM program features field trips like the Nature Center visit, where students explore sustainability and environmental science.
- Career Choice Exploration – A panel of STEM experts helps students understand their options in each STEM field, while providing an overview of global STEM opportunities.
- Coding Simulation – Create your own video game on the Unity software platform, learning game mechanics, basic coding, character selection and scene development. With tech industry experience like this, you'll be popular in the job market!
- Engineering and Technology Workshop – The challenge is on as students apply engineering skills to design, build and program a robot, then enter it in the robotics competition!
- Medicine Workshop – This could be a life-saver! Experience the public health system and issues of emergency preparedness on a community level.
- Group Challenge – NYLF Explore STEM culminates in an exciting role-playing simulation, where students take on the jobs of engineers, public health officials or scientists to address a realistic community threat scenario.
"My daughter can't stop smiling! What a wonderful first experience away from home! I can tell her self-confidence has grown - she was thrilled to be learning, laughing, and making memories with other high-achieving students." – Parent of 2014 Explore STEM Alumna
Dr. Charles Bush-Joseph, MD, Professor, Rush University Medical Center and Head Team Physician for the Chicago White Sox Major League Baseball Club. He is a Fellow of the American College of Physicians.