The National Young Leaders Conference (NYLC): Skills in Leadership for Change is a seven-day Envision program for outstanding high school students. At this summer program, join your high-achieving peers from throughout the nation to gain the real-world leadership experiences and skills you need to succeed in college and in your future career.
Washington, DC will serve as your living classroom at the National Young Leadership Conference. You will be empowered to emerge as an influential voice in your community, state and even at the national level. Explore your interests, enlarge your perspective and hone the skills you need to become an influential leader in the 21st century.
Benefits & Activities
Are you ready to step forward as a leader? At NYLC, you will:
- Explore your future through a career fair, networking social and interactive workshops led by local career experts.
- Hear from members of Congress, right on Capitol Hill, and discover the career paths that brought them to congress, the leadership skills that have made them successful and how you can work on Capitol Hill through the Senate Page Program or serve as a Congressional intern.
- Participate in an exclusive Press Panel with Washington, DC journalists, who cover critical topics such as the Pentagon, election campaigns, Capitol Hill and special undercover stories. Discover the skills needed to be a successful journalist.
- Develop the critical leadership skills you need for the future such as communication, networking, decision making, conflict resolution and critical thinking. Apply these skills to service in The Envision Initiative: Igniting Community Change, a social advocacy project.
By completing this program, you are also eligible to receive college credit from George Mason University.
Explore Leadership & Careers
- Get firsthand exposure to public service fields, including elected office, intelligence, national security, journalism, public policy, lobbying, campaign management and public relations.
- Design a Personalized Action and Advocacy Plan to reach goals and connect your passion to a career pathway.
- Gain the skills you need to stand out from the crowd in any profession, including networking, social media, communication, conflict resolution and self-promotion.
- Develop a deeper appreciation and knowledge of important domestic and international issues that you will confront as a leader.
The Envision Initiative
A highlight of the program is The Envision Initiative: Igniting Community Change. In this social advocacy project, you will:
- Collaborate with a team to identify a community need, and explore real-world solutions to the problems you observe.
- Design a sustainable service plan to address this need, shape policy and create lasting change.
- Present your project to a panel of community leaders in a competitive showcase.
- Have the opportunity to earn a scholarship toward a future program by implementing your project in your home community!
College Tour Extension
You have the option to extend your experience by four days with the College Tour Extension! Tour top schools in the Washington, DC area, prepare for the college admissions process and enjoy cultural highlights around the city.
College visits may include:
- Georgetown University
- The George Washington University
- George Mason University
- The University of Maryland, College Park
- The University of Virginia