The National Young Leaders Conference (NYLC) is a seven-day leadership program for outstanding high school students. At this summer program, Washington, DC will serve as your living classroom where you will join high-achieving peers from across the nation to gain real-world leadership experience and the essential leadership skills you need to succeed in college and in your future career.
Through hands-on workshops, exciting speaking events, and exclusive site visits you will be empowered to emerge as an influential voice in your community, state, and even at the national level. Discover the secrets of leaders as you explore your interests, enlarge your perspective and hone the skills you need to become an influential leader in the 21st century.
Benefits & Activities
Are you ready to step forward as a leader? At NYLC, you will:
- Develop the essential leadership, communication, networking, decision making, conflict resolution and critical thinking skills you will need to be a leader in the 21st century.
- Explore career opportunities available to you through a career fair, networking, social and interactive workshops led by local career experts.
- Hear from and interact with members of Congress, right on Capitol Hill, and discover the career paths that brought them to Congress, the leadership skills that have made them successful, and how you can work on Capitol Hill through the Senate Page Program or serve as a Congressional intern.
- Participate in an exclusive Press Panel with Washington, DC journalists, who cover critical topics such as the Pentagon, election campaigns, Capitol Hill and special undercover stories. Discover the skills needed to be a successful journalist.
- Apply your critical leadership skills to service in The Envision Initiative: Igniting Community Change, a social advocacy project.
By completing this program, you are also eligible to receive college credit from George Mason University.