Your chance to transform the world starts here. At the Global Young Innovators Initiative, you’ll serve as a real-life international business consultant for a small business in Nigeria. Along with a professional mentor and a team of other students, you’ll collaborate with a local Nigerian business owner to develop creative and sustainable solutions to the challenges their business or community faces.
Past students have improved water purification systems, combated computer illiteracy, helped start and support small business, and designed educational programs – all while honing the skills needed to lead the next generation of creative problem solvers and innovative thinkers.
This unique six-day Summit is held exclusively for alumni of Envision programs and select international students, in partnership with Leadership Initiatives, a US-based non-profit that approaches the problem of underdevelopment by empowering communities to address their own needs through education and local financing.
Activities & Benefits
Are you ready to take your leadership skills to the next level, transform your world and build partnerships that will last a lifetime? At the Global Young Innovators Initiative, you will:
- Join other bright young minds to collaborate with a Nigerian business owner via Skype to solve the challenges that face their business. You’ll consider the problem, research answers, help develop a sustainable solution and assist in the project implementation.
- Explore design, technology, sustainability and ethics through comprehensive case studies covering topics such as gel fuel production in Ghana, fish farming in Nigeria and the high-tech world of alternative vehicle design.
- Attend interactive workshops on current global issues, such as failing states, cybersecurity and human rights, presented by leading experts in the field.
- Prepare for college life with a look at everything from how to select an academic major, to how to determine what schools are a good match for you, to what to expect after you’ve arrived.
- Visit the campuses of some of the most prestigious universities in the nation.
- Have the opportunity to be selected to join Leadership Initiatives’ International Business Alliance Program (IBAP), a highly-competitive mentorship program where you’ll spend 18 months helping to create or expand a business in a developing country via Skype and email. IBAP members also receive college search and application assistance, college recommendations, free online SAT prep courses from TotalSATPrep and scholarship application assistance.
Notice: This program is not owned, controlled or supervised by Harvard University or any of its schools or programs.
Anna & Sani
Past student project: Anna and her team partnered with Sani, the owner of the Birshi Fish Farming Group, to meet the challenge of providing affordable, nutritious food to his community. After learning about the major developmental issues facing Sani’s business, the team researched solutions and helped Sani discover how to make homemade feed to improve the nutrients of the fish, to reuse the dead fish to feed crops and to better understand and manage the financial aspect of his business.
Learn more about Anna & Sani’s Fish Farming Project.
Carrie & Abdulhadi
Past student project: Carrie and her team partnered with Abdulhadi, the owner of a local tailoring business, to expand his customer base so that he can give his employees a higher income and contribute to the growth of his community. The team helped tackle three major development issues for this local business by helping Abdulhadi create a new logo, advertising plan and rates to attract more customers, develop unique designs for the outfits he makes, and gain new accounting and financial skills.
Learn more about about Carrie & Abdulhadi’s Tailoring Project .
Korben & Hamza
Past student project: Korben and his team partnered with Hamza, the owner of Hamza Welders, to grow his business and decrease unemployment levels in his local town where the poverty level is high, and the employment levels are low. To help Hazma grow his business, the team will help him learn new advertising skills to enlarge his customer base, build products that will make the business more competitive, and create additional financial management plans and skills training courses.
Learn more about Korben & Hamza’s Welding Project