Careers in Law & CSI, a National Youth Leadership Forum, provides you with an in-depth look at the judicial process and hands-on exploration of careers in law, forensic science and crime scene investigation (CSI). Go behind the scenes of Washington, DC’s top law firms, universities and legal institutions.
Activities & Benefits
With Washington, DC as your interactive classroom, the six-day Careers in Law & CSI program takes you from crime scene investigation, to evidence analysis, to courtroom trial. Along the way, develop critical success skills as you prepare to make the most out of your college and career choices.
By completing this program, you are eligible to receive college credit from George Mason University.
Invest in Your Future
Careers in Law & CSI is your opportunity to explore a range of legal and investigative professions through exciting experiences in crime scene investigation, evidence analysis and courtroom simulation.
Law & CSI Career Exploration
Enhance your awareness of legal, judicial and forensic science professions through career panels, seminars, workshops and site visits led by law and forensic science experts. Past program speakers include:
- Antonin Scalia, Associate Justice, United States Supreme Court
- Sandra Day O’Connor, Associate Justice, United States Supreme Court
- Harriet Miers, White House Counsel
- Abner J. Mikva, White House Counsel, U.S. Court of Appeals Judge, Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
- Nadine Strossen, President, American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU); Professor of Law, New York Law School
- Eric H. Holder, Jr., Deputy Attorney General, U.S. Department of Justice; U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia
- Jonathan Turley, J.B. and Maurice C. Shapiro Professor of Public Interest Law, Director of the Environmental Law Advocacy Center, George Washington University Law School
- DeMaurice F. Smith, Partner, Latham & Watkins
*Note: listed are speakers’ titles at the time the addressed the forum.
Law & CSI in Action
- Analyze evidence and build a case as part of a forensic science simulation.
- Put your legal acumen to the test as you make your case in an exciting courtroom simulation where you can experience firsthand the role of prosecutor, attorney or witness.
- Learn the trade secrets of strong debate and negotiation from top professionals, and gain leadership skills you can use now and in college, including public speaking, team building and conflict management.
At the NYLF Law & CSI program, you will see law and CSI operations in action and engage with top professionals from law firms, courts of law and forensic science facilities. Past participating institutions include:
- Superior Court of the District of Columbia
- The George Washington University School of Law
- Arnold & Porter, L.L.P.
- Forensic Anthropology Lab: Smithsonian
- National Museum of Natural History
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- George Mason University School of Law
- Steptoe & Johnson, L.L.P.
- Drug Enforcement Administration
- Crowell & Moring, L.L.P.
- Fairfax County Police Department
- District of Columbia Bar
- Fairfax County Circuit Court
- Howard University School of Law
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces
- …and many more!